Houston Construction Accident Attorneys
Managing Third-Party Injury Claims for Construction Workers
Working construction can seem inherently dangerous. But some construction sites are much more dangerous than others due to negligence and a lack of safety protocols. If you were hurt while working on a construction site and think someone should pay for your losses, then it is time to explore your legal options with Robins Cloud LLP.
Our team of Houston construction accident lawyers can help you from start to finish in the pursuit of compensation. We focus on third-party injury claims filed for injured workers, which are separate from workers’ compensation claims. Both types of claims might be available to you, though, so be sure to ask us about your options today.
Most Common Construction Accidents & Injuries
Construction accidents can happen in all sorts of forms and cause many different injuries. However, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) reports that four types of accidents cause the worst injuries and/or fatalities far more than others.
OSHA’s “Fatal Four” construction accidents are:
- Falls: A fall off an elevated position or scaffolding can result in serious injuries like broken bones, head injuries, and spine injuries.
- Struck-by-object accidents: Workers on lower levels of a construction zone can be at risk of being hit by a falling object like a dropped tool. Struck-by-object accidents also occur when a worker is hit by a moving vehicle like a forklift.
- Electrical exposure: Certified electricians must complete all electrical work at a construction site. Exposure to a live electrical system can instantly cause a fatality or life-changing injuries.
- Caught-in/between accidents: When a worker’s body part is caught inside a machine, or they are caught in between two heavy and moving objects, it can cause a catastrophic caught-in/between accident.
Third-Party Injury Claims
Robins Cloud LLP and our Houston construction accident lawyers can help you see what damages are available to you through a third-party injury claim. You might have been told that you can’t file a third-party injury claim because you have workers’ compensation insurance, but this might not be true. There are many situations when you can pursue compensation through a liability-based claim and lawsuit.
A third-party injury claim might be necessary if a construction accident was caused by a:
- Subcontractor: Many construction sites have multiple subcontractors working at once. For example, the person installing the flooring might be employed by a different subcontractor than the person installing the lights. If an accident happens between two employees of different subcontractors, then an injury claim might be justified.
- Equipment manufacturer: If a construction accident is caused by a defective piece of equipment, then the equipment manufacturer could be liable. An investigation will likely be required to determine how and why the equipment was defective.
- Property defect: Were you injured due to an unsafe property defect at the construction site? The property owner could be fully liable for your injuries and losses. Imagine that you were hired to install insulation in someone’s attic. On the way up, you tripped on a damaged stair in the house, fell, and were injured. You could likely bring a claim against the homeowner for not addressing the broken step before you arrived.
Furthermore, Texas law does not require most employers to purchase workers’ compensation insurance coverage. If you were working on a construction site and did not have workers’ comp coverage at all, then your only option after a workplace accident might be to use a third-party construction accident lawsuit, even if that means filing against your employer.
Can You Still Get Workers’ Compensation?
If you file a third-party injury claim after a construction accident, it does not prevent you from filing for workers’ compensation, too. Both claims exist and are handled separately. However, you cannot get the same damage twice, once from each claim.
Robins Cloud LLP in Houston has many years of experience working on third-party claims for injured workers. We might be able to refer you to a trusted workers’ compensation law firm, though, if we believe that you could be eligible to file both types of claims to get the most compensation possible.
Uncover Your Options with Our Help
Call our Houston construction accident attorneys at (800) 691-2363 as soon as you can after being hurt on the job. We proudly represent workers and tradespersons from all industries, like construction, electrical work, plumbing, roofing, and more. When you are struggling and need financial relief due to an accident, we will be ready to stand up for your legal rights!
Experience You Can Trust
We've handled some of the most complex mesothelioma, personal injury, and fire lawsuit cases in the country. With more then 100+ years of combined experience, we know what it takes to win in court.
We'll Come to You
If you've been injured or need legal assistance and are in another state, please feel free to contact our team. We're committed to meeting our clients where it's most convenient for them.
Helping People Recover Their Losses
Over the past three decades, we've assisted our clients in a variety of different practice areas. Regardless of the size or complexity of your case, we have the resources and fortitude needed to represent your best interest and fight for what you deserve.
We're Here For Our Clients 24/7
We often provide our clients with our direct cell phone numbers so that they can easily get in contact with our staff when it's most convenient for them.