Houston Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Fighting for Injured Patients
Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional makes a mistake that harms a patient. This concept might seem simple at first, but medical malpractice cases are some of the most complex legal contests. Holding a medical professional or institution accountable for dangerous mistakes is difficult, so you should not attempt it alone.
Come to Robins Cloud LLP and work with our Houston medical malpractice lawyers. We can start by evaluating your case to see if it has the right components to make it legally valid. If so, then we can go from there by building your claim, collecting evidence, demanding compensation, and even representing you in court if necessary. We are here to fight for your rights as an injured patient!
Elements of Medical Malpractice
Numerous legal protections are in place to make it more difficult to hold a medical professional or institution liable for the harm caused by malpractice. For your case to get moving, it has to meet or exceed a high legal standard. Specifically, medical malpractice cases must first include four distinct elements that can connect your injury—or worsened medical condition—to the unacceptable mistakes of a medical provider.
The four elements of a medical malpractice case are:
- Duty: The medical provider must have owed you a duty of care, which is usually established through a doctor-patient relationship. Under this expectation, for example, a doctor helping you after you fall on the sidewalk is acting as a kind stranger, not as a medical professional who owes you a duty of patient care.
- Breach of duty: The medical provider who owed you a duty of care must have done something to breach that duty. Furthermore, the breach must have been caused by something that another reasonable medical provider would not have done in the same situation. Also, a poor or unexpected result of a medical procedure doesn’t automatically qualify as medical malpractice or a breach of duty under this definition.
- Actual harm: The lapse in your acceptable medical care must have caused you to suffer actual harm. You could suffer a new injury due to medical malpractice, or a current condition could be allowed to worsen when adequate care would have helped it heal instead.
- Damages: Lastly, the harm that you have suffered must have caused at least one type of damage or loss, which should be comparatively easy to prove. If you needed additional medical care or experienced emotional suffering and physical pain, for example, then you likely have experienced damage that adds to the validity of your medical malpractice claim.
Common Forms of Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice is estimated to be the third-leading cause of preventable deaths in the country. It is also likely a leading cause of severe, preventable injuries. Medical malpractice is so widespread and common, in part, because it can take many different forms. Our Houston medical malpractice lawyers are familiar with all types of medical malpractice or negligence, so you know that we can work on your case no matter what happened.
Common types of medical malpractice or medical errors include:
- Failing to reach an accurate diagnosis
- Not diagnosing a patient at all
- Not using all available diagnostic tools
- Taking too long to reach the right diagnosis
- Anesthesia administration errors
- Surgical errors like incorrect amputations
- Prescribing unsafe medication
- Mixing up patient records
- Failing to check a patient’s history
- Not allowing a patient to give informed consent
- Following an incorrect order of triage in the ER
- Discharging a patient from care too soon
Should You Keep Seeing the Same Doctor?
If you think your medical provider’s negligence has caused you to suffer an injury, then you should speak with your medical team or insurance provider about how to switch to a different primary care physician. You should not discontinue ongoing medical care without first consulting with a doctor first, though. The risk of harm could be greater if you change your medical treatment plan yourself than if you kept seeing the same medical team that might have hurt you.
Prepare Your Case with Professional Help
Starting a medical negligence case is much simpler when you have our team by your side and leading the way. Put our Houston medical malpractice attorneys to work on your case as soon as possible. Call (855) 569-0041 now. We are here to uphold your rights and seek full compensation in your name.
Experience You Can Trust
We've handled some of the most complex mesothelioma, personal injury, and fire lawsuit cases in the country. With more than 100 years of combined experience, we know what it takes to win in court.
We'll Come to You
If you've been injured or need legal assistance and are in another state, please feel free to contact our team. We're committed to meeting our clients where it's most convenient for them.
Helping People Recover Their Losses
Over the past three decades, we've assisted our clients in a variety of different practice areas. Regardless of the size or complexity of your case, we have the resources and fortitude needed to represent your best interest and fight for what you deserve.
We're Here For Our Clients 24/7
We often provide our clients with our direct cell phone numbers so that they can easily get in contact with our staff when it's most convenient for them.