Houston Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Lawsuits After Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
Every elder living in a nursing home or an assisted living center should feel safe and comfortable at all times. Yet nursing home abuse is a rampant problem across the United States, with millions of elders being abused or neglected each year. If your loved one has been abused while living in a nursing home, don’t let it stand. Take legal action right away with Robins Cloud LLP in Houston, Texas.
Our team has decades of combined experience working on sensitive and complex cases like nursing home abuse lawsuits. We handle cases like we are representing ourselves, so you can expect tenacious and aggressive legal counsel. Let us be the voice of your elderly loved one today.
For a free consultation with our Houston nursing home abuse lawyers, call (800) 691-2363 now.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse and neglect can take many forms. Not every instance of abuse will be obvious or leave clear evidence that it happened. In many cases, the abuse or neglect is subtle, so subtle that an elderly person might not even realize that it has happened.
Different forms of nursing home abuse vary noticeably, such as:
- Physical: Physical abuse can include acts of physical violence like striking, hitting, or shoving an elderly resident of a nursing home. It can also include acts of sexual violence like sexual battery. Neglect that causes an elderly resident to suffer an injury or illness can also constitute a form of physical abuse, such as forgetting to feed an elder to the point that they become malnourished.
- Mental: An elder can be subjected to mental or emotional abuse if they are bullied, harassed, belittled, or otherwise mentally tormented. Acts of mental abuse in nursing homes can be carried out by caretakers, as well as other residents who are not supervised properly.
- Social: Social isolation has the potential for long-term and significant harm to an elder’s wellbeing. Even if an elder in a nursing home is mostly bedridden, the staff should make attempts to keep them involved in social activities and check-ins. Failing to do so could cause the elder to suffer from social abuse.
- Financial: Stealing from elders in assisted living centers is financial abuse. It can be carried out by taking money directly from the elder, such as stealing cash from a purse. However, financial abuse can also occur through subtle coercion and exploitation, such as a caretaker convincing an elder to include them as a beneficiary in their will.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
As mentioned, many forms of nursing home abuse and neglect are subtle. The person who is hurting the elder might not even realize it, such as is the case in an act of neglect. It is not a surprise to learn that many elders do not report nursing home abuse because they aren’t aware that it happened, either. Or, in a more concerning scenario, some elders don’t report the abuse because they are afraid of retaliation if they do.
You might be the first person to notice signs of nursing home abuse and neglect when visiting your loved one in an assisted living center. It is important to know what to look for and what to do if you see anything wrong.
Signs of nursing home abuse and neglect can include:
- Unexplained injuries like cuts and bruises
- Malnutrition or dehydration
- Fearful behavior around a specific person
- Lost finances without a linked purchase
- Bedsores or pressure ulcers
- Uncharacteristic mood swings
- Reports of slips/trips-and-falls
- Refusal to take prescription medication
If you think the harm might have been caused by neglect, then you can consider talking to the property manager and getting more information about the day-to-day care that your loved one receives. If you are worried that your elderly loved one is in immediate danger of physical violence, then you should alert the authorities. In either situation, as soon as you can after taking the initial steps to protect your loved one, you should call (800) 691-2363 to speak with our Houston nursing home abuse lawyers.
Nursing Home Safety Regulations
Nursing homes are subjected to Texas and federal safety regulations that dictate how the center should be run and what care should be given to the residents there. When working on a nursing home abuse case, we can investigate the situation to see if any safety regulations have been violated, like those set by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). If a violation has occurred, then it could be a strong starting point for building your case.
Demand Justice – Let Us Help
Robins Cloud LLP proudly demands justice for injured, abused, and neglected elders. We think it is unforgivable for a nursing home to let such harm come to people who put their full trust in their services. It would be our honor to stand up for you or your loved one. Financial compensation can’t undo the harm that has been done, but it can help your family move forward and feel a sense of closure.
Learn how to pursue compensation after nursing home abuse in Houston. Contact us online.
Strong Legal Advice & GuidanceOver Three Decades of Experience Representing Clients Nationwide
Experience You Can Trust
We've handled some of the most complex mesothelioma, personal injury, and fire lawsuit cases in the country. With more than 100 years of combined experience, we know what it takes to win in court.
We'll Come to You
If you've been injured or need legal assistance and are in another state, please feel free to contact our team. We're committed to meeting our clients where it's most convenient for them.
Helping People Recover Their Losses
Over the past three decades, we've assisted our clients in a variety of different practice areas. Regardless of the size or complexity of your case, we have the resources and fortitude needed to represent your best interest and fight for what you deserve.
We're Here For Our Clients 24/7
We often provide our clients with our direct cell phone numbers so that they can easily get in contact with our staff when it's most convenient for them.